Since buying my plane ticket last week, Asia has been on my mind nonstop. Regardless of the fact that my trip is still a good 7 months away, I’m constantly daydreaming about dim sum, humidity, exotic wildlife, and life on the road again.
When I first started this blog, I made a bucket list about my then upcoming trip to Australia and Southeast Asia. I actually got through a good portion of that list. It was one that I kept going back to, just to see how far I’d come since I had stepped on that plane in L.A., whisked away from the life I knew in California.
Travel bloggers seem to have an issue with bucket lists for some reason, a lot of bloggers refuse to use the term because they don’t believe in just doing things for the purpose of crossing it off a list.
Well, as a perpetual planner, I love lists. I don’t use my bucket lists as a way to quickly move through destinations and experiences. I use them as a way to visualize goals and get excited for upcoming travels.
I’ll be slow traveling through Asia, usually spending a month at least in most of these places and living in some for longer. This is just a list of what I hope to experience while I’m there – and it’s by no means inclusive of everything I want to do, but that should already be self-explanatory.
Similar to the last bucket list I made back in 2013, I’ll be coming back to edit this post and crossing off the items as I go – with each item linked to a post for each experience.
Cheers to dreams and goals, my adventurous souls!
- Spend time volunteering at an elephant sanctuary (and do extensive research ahead of time to make sure it’s a legitimate venture)
- Try silk worm larvae (Beondegi) and every flavor of soju in South Korea
- Party Gagnam style in South Korea
- Visit the orangutans in Borneo
- Celebrate Holi in India
- Go to a meditation/yoga retreat in India
- Get my advanced open water scuba certification
- Celebrate Songkran + Loi Krathong Lantern Festival in Thailand
- Go scuba diving with whale sharks or manta rays
- Experience a homestay with an indigenous family
- Try each country’s local beer
- Learn how to ride a motorbike
- Try balut (fertilized duck embryo) in the Philippines
- Have an adventure on the Mekong River
- Go sandboarding in Mui Ne, Vietnam
- Finally try durian – the worst smelling fruit I have ever come across
- Hike to Everest Base Camp in Nepal
- See the Great Wall of China and the Terracotta Army
To check out my adventures from last time I was in Asia, take a look at my Asia page for a few posts about my time in the region! As you can probably tell, I can’t wait to go back.
Do you have a travel bucket list? Have you had any of these experiences in Asia yet?
Feel free to pin this image for future reference by clicking on the top right hand corner.
Join the Adventure
Get first dibs on travel updates, tips, and deals. Life is an adventure, join me around the world!