Don't let a little rain ruin your next trip! These are the best waterproof walking shoes for women that will keep you dry and comfortable no matter what the weather decides to do.
I don't know about you, but when I travel to a new place I walk everywhere.
It's my favorite way of getting around a new city and one of the best ways to get your bearings.
Not to mention, walking vs taking Ubers or even bikes everywhere, allows you to soak up the smaller details of a new culture. It allows you to breathe in all the smells, take in the sounds, and the beautiful or intriguing visuals in front of you at a slower pace.
That's why it's so important to have a good pair of walking shoes, especially waterproof walking shoes that will keep your feet dry even when you choose to travel during monsoon season in Asia.
Traditional rain boots are cute and all, but if you want to pack light (and I always recommend you do for smoother travel), they're just not a practical item to bring in your suitcase. They're bulky and not overly versatile like the following options are.
So, leave the classic rain boots and home and check out these practical and stylish waterproof shoes for every budget.
Note: this post contains affiliate links, which help run this site at no extra cost to you so I can keep providing free travel advice and tips.
Short on Time? Here's a Quick Look at My Recommendations
The Best WaterProof Walking Shoes for Women
- Best Amazon Rain Boots for Women - DKSUKO Chelsea Booties for Women
- Best Women's Waterproof Sneakers - DKSUKO Waterproof High Top or Low Top Rain Shoes
- Best Women's Waterproof Slip on Shoes - Oka-B Women's Georgia Ballet Flats
- Best Stylish Slip Resistant Shoes for Muddy Days - JBU by Jambu Women's Gwen Rain Shoe
- Best Women's Rain Shoes - Holyami Short Rain Boots for Women
- Best Women's Waterproof Tennis Shoes - SOREL Women's Out N About Sneaker
- Best Women's Waterproof Hiking Shoes - Merrell Women's Siren Edge Q2 Waterproof Sneaker
- Best Women's Waterproof Boots for Long Walks - Teva Women's W DE LA Vina Dos Chelsea Boot
- Best Women's Walking Shoes for All Day Exploring - KEEN Women's Presidio Shoe
- Best Women's Waterproof Hiking Boots - Merrell Women's Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
- Best Women's Waterproof Athletic Shoes - Teva Women's W Arrowood 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoe
- Best Comfortable Boots for Women - Timberland Women's Premium Waterproof Boots
12 Best Waterproof Walking Shoes for Women
Women's Waterproof Walking Shoes Under $50
I love a good Chelsea boot. I probably wear my Chelsea boots at least half of the week, whether I'm abroad or at home because they're so damn versatile, cute, and comfortable. Seriously, I've walked for hours around new cities in these shoes with happy and dry feet.
If you only want to bring one pair of waterproof shoes on your next trip, these would always be my first pick. Plus, they're super inexpensive at under $30.
And even though these are cheap, they're made with quality materials of waterproof elastic and sealed rubber that goes up over the ankle, and a pull loop strap at the back to slip them on and off. They also have a dirt-resistant exterior for easy cleaning.
If you're concerned about the height, DKSUKO also offers mid-calf rain boots, but I gotta say, I adore these ankle length boots for packability and more versatility.
- Dirt Resistant
- Not as tall as a traditional rain boot
- Somewhat bulkier than other waterproof shoes on this list
- Made of rubber, which isn't always great for sensitive skin
I've traveled with Converse sneakers for years in my travels because they're comfortable, versatile, and I love the classic look to them. However, they're not the most waterproof shoes and when I've been caught in the rain with them, my feet end up soaked through.
So, when I discovered these waterproof Converse-esque shoes available on Amazon, I was sold. If you want that causal sneaker look without the soaking feet when its wet out, these are a great option. Plus, they're very packable.
The shoes come in a variety of colors besides just black and white. You can even go for that classic bright yellow color that is common on cute women's rain boots without having to deal with the bulkiness of traditional rain boots.
The shoes are made out of rubber, PVC, and cotton.
- Good to pair with any type of casual wear
- Thermal insulation so you stay dry and somewhat warm
- Easy to clean
- Waterproof in the rain, but some water might get through if you plan to jump in big puddles
- Don't have much support (would recommend getting insoles if you get sore feet easily)
- Don't have a ton of grip on the bottom
If you're looking for waterproof shoes for women that you could wear with a nicer outfit, let me introduce these waterproof flats by Oka-B.
Waterproof flats might sound counterintuitive because they're open at the top and don't protect your feet from getting wet. But, as long as you're not going to be walking through puddles, they're actually a great versatile flat to bring on any trip - and super comfortable for walking around a city all day.
The great thing about these waterproof flats is that they're tough. You can get them dirty and wet all you want and then just pop them in the washer for a quick wash and they come out brand new.
The Oka-B flats come in 10 different colors, feature non-slip soles, an ergonomic foot bed, premium arch support, and, as I mentioned above, they're machine washable.
- Easy to wash / machine washable
- Non-slip soles
- Arch support
- They're still flats, so if you're walking through rain the tops of your feet will get wet.
- They can be squeaky when you're breaking them in
- Not overly breathable since they're made of plastic
The JBU by Jambu Rain Shoes for women are not everyone's cup of tea, but they're a great choice if you're looking for something a bit more weather proof but still inexpensive.
Bonus points if you're a fan of duck shoes, because these are basically the traditional duck shoes' more packable little sister.
These shoes can handle slush and rain, have more grip on the bottom than the previous three shoes on this list, and they have a somewhat warm interior for chilly days.
The one thing to watch out for is that these rain shoes run small, so it's recommended to order at least half size up, or full size up if you like wearing thick socks.
They also don't have a ton of support if you're going to be walking long distances, so make sure to get some insoles for added comfort and support. For the price of the shoes, it's still a steal for everything else they offer even if you have to purchase insoles for more comfort.
The JBU by Jambu Rain Shoes are made of 100% rubber and vegan leather.
- Can handle rain and light snow/slush
- Non-slip soles
- Memory foam footbed
- Not overly supportive - will need to buy insoles if you plan to walk long distances
- Run small - order a half size up or full size up if you plan to wear them with thick socks
Women's Waterproof Walking Shoes Under $100
If you're looking for a quality pair of waterproof women's boots that are as cute as they are practical, look no further than the Holyami Short Rain Boots.
These shoes are easy to quickly slip on and run out the door for a full day of explorations in a new place. They are made with quality single-layer cotton lining technology to keep feet dry, and they have a PVC base to create good traction and help prevent slips.
The Holyami Rain Boots are soft and comfortable and feature an adjustable buckle at the top, making it easier for them to be broken in and worn immediately. They're also lighter than they look for easy packing.
Although these boots have a slightly higher price tag, they're puddle proof and have a higher quality waterproof design than DKSUKU Chelsea Booties if you plan to be in wetter climates.
- Great waterproof design
- Good grip on the bottom so you don't slip
- Adjustable buckle at the top for a more personal fit
- It's recommended to wear tall socks with these since the tops can sometimes be uncomfortable on bare skin
- Not overly supportive for those with high arches, adding insoles is recommended
- Not that warm for freezing days on their own, but great if you pair them with thick winter socks
If you don't want to pack a bulky rain boot, these waterproof sneakers are a great alternative for their comfort and easy packability.
The Sorel Women's Out N About Sneaker has a vulcanized herringbone rubber sole for better traction and a removable plush footbed for ultimate comfort.
They're recommended for light rainy days and, although they're designed more for urban settings, they can be used for easy to medium hikes. Just note that they don't have the ankle support that a traditional hiking boot would.
These shoes run a little big so it's usually recommended to order a half size down, and they're comfortable enough to walk for miles in them.
- Comfortable enough for miles of walking or an easy hike
- Good grip on the bottom
- Run big - recommended to order a half size down
- If you have high arches, you might need additional support with an insole
- Good for light rain, but not great for walking through puddles
If you care more about comfort than you do about fashion or versatility when it comes to women's waterproof shoes, I'd recommend getting a proper hiking shoe or boot for optimal comfort.
These Merrell hiking or running waterproof sneakers are a good lightweight pick for your next adventure, especially if you plan to have a somewhat outdoorsy trip.
The best thing about these sneakers is that they're designed with arch support in mind to keep your feet happy and dry for long walks. They also have durable traction on the bottom that grips slick surfaces well.
- Comfortable, good arch support
- Great for rainy outdoor adventures
- Good grip on the bottom
- One of the more inexpensive Merrell shoes
- Not very versatile or fashionable
- Since they're made of a mesh material, not great for really heavy rain or puddles.
- Have a cheaper look to them compared to other Merrell shoes
You can probably tell by now that I have a thing for walking boots, but that's because I walk everywhere in boots when I travel (especially to city destinations). The right kind of boots are the perfect combination of comfort, style, and versatility, and these Teva waterproof women's boots are no exception.
Teva is known to be one of the best shoe companies out there for comfortable walking shoes and these Teva boots deliver. You might not want to take them hiking, but you can happily walk for hours in these.
Just note that these boots tend to run slightly small, so it's usually recommended to order a half size up. The good news is that it doesn't take much to break these in, they're pretty walk ready as soon as you put them on.
- Good quality
- Easy to break in
- Can run small - recommended to order a half size up
- Not as packable as a smaller waterproof shoe
- The design of the top of the shoe isn't always great for preventing water from getting in
Women's Waterproof Walking Shoes Over $100
I bought my first pair of travel walking shoes from KEEN when I was 18 and on my way to the jungles of Costa Rica. I've been a big believer in the quality of KEEN shoes ever since because I wore them for over 10 years and they were still supportive and looked great after a decade.
The KEEN Women's Presidio Shoe is a great option for those who want a lot of comfort in their women's waterproof walking shoes, but don't want to carry around full on hiking boots.
Seriously though, these shoes are amazing when it comes to comfort and giving you optimial support for long days of walking. Plus, they come in a lot of fun colors.
They also feature Cleansport NXT for natural odor control, an important thing to have for those adventurous travelers who regularly work up a sweat.
These KEENs are one of my top picks for best waterproof shoes on this list because of their versatility, comfort, and quality.
- High quality walking shoe
- Versatile - great for city explorations and for hitting the trail
- Natural odor control
- Can be a bit clunky for summer travel
- Close fit, so hard to wear thick winter socks if it's cold out (unless you order up)
- Tread on the bottom could be better
Finally a proper hiking boot that is fully waterproof and super comfortable. If you're looking to go on some serious hikes and you want shoes that can keep you dry in any weather, these Merrell Women's Moab 2 are it.
These heavy duty waterproof boots for women have an air cushion in the heel for stability and to absorb shock, they have great traction, and a protective rubber toe cap for even the rockiest of terrains.
These are some of the best waterproof boots for women on the market today. The Moab 2 is definitely bulkier than other shoes on this list, but still surprisingly lightweight for a hiking boot.
Their high ankle design also means that you won't be twisting anything anytime soon. There is support in every aspect of this shoe and they're versatile enough to hike in hot or cold weather.
Merrell also offers wide versions in every size so you can find your perfect fit no matter how your foot is shaped.
- Can wear in any type of weather, or season
- Lightweight for a hiking boot
- Designed for optimal comfort
- Great for outdoor adventures and serious hikes
- Bulky to pack
- Not super versatile for wearing outside of hiking
- Expensive, but you get what you pay for
Another great waterproof Teva option if you're looking for a lightweight sneaker to get you through those rainy days. These versatile waterproof shoes for women can be used on the trail for short and easy hikes or for long walks around town.
Every part of this shoe is about comfort, you'll feel the quality support as soon as you lace these up and hit the road. They also have grippy soles that are great for preventing slips on wet days, and they're lined with lightweight, breathable mesh.
These Tevas are packable and light enough to easily take on your carry on. Just note that they do run a bit large, so it's recommended to order a half size down, unless you plan to mostly wear them with thick socks.
- Very lightweight, easy to pack
- Versatile for the city or the trail
- Made for comfort
- Good grip on the bottom to prevent slips
- Made with high quality materials
- Not as easy to clean, so it's best to get the darker option
- Can be a bit stiff at first and hard to break in, but super comfortable once you do
- Expensive for sneakers, but they're fully waterproof and good quality
I'm of the opinion that everyone should own a good pair of Timberlands at least once in their life. Yes, they're bulky, but they're also damn comfortable and can withstand pretty much anything and they last forever.
Timberlands are the OG work boot, which is why they're so tough and made from such quality materials. In recent years, they have become a popular walking boot for women because of how comfortable they are.
And they're also surprisingly versatile. You can wear them with a lot more than you might originally think.
Timberlands are great because you can wear them in snow or the rainiest of days, and these Tims in particular are made with women's feet in mind.
Wear these in an urban setting, or take them on your next outdoor adventure, they're great to wear in almost any casual situation that involves a decent amount of walking or standing.
- Very high quality
- Versatile - wear them in the city or the outdoors
- Super comfortable
- Can keep your feet dry and warm in any type of weather
- Bulky and heavy
- Take some time to break in
Latest posts by Mimi McFadden (see all)
- How I Made $675 from Travel Blogging in December 2019 - January 4, 2020
- 2019, A Year of Discovery - December 31, 2019
- 50 Best Gifts for Hikers | Ultimate Gift Guide for 2020 - December 12, 2019